Thursday, September 29, 2022

Non-Hurricane Gratitude

I am now taking a break from Hurricane Irma    (interesting slip) Ian monitoring to record some other events that happened this week.

--Yesterday I put my contact lenses in my eyes with my right hand, which is the first time that I've done that since April.  I am still not where I want to be with my right hand/arm/wrist, but let me remember how far I have come.

--It has been interesting setting up a satellite household here.  There are some things that I haven't missed at all, like a TV.  I've been enjoying reading fiction right before bed.  But I have decided that I wanted a vegetable scrubber, and so I ordered one, one that's identical to the one that we ordered for the other house to replace a veggie scrubber that bit the dust after years of faithful use.  I've bought a lot of potatoes, both sweet and white, in the past week, and I want to be sure I can scrub them thoroughly.

--I was about to break down and buy a replacement immersion blender and gallon tea pitcher.  I stashed those in a box on the last morning that we moved, and we haven't been able to find the box.  But hurrah!  My spouse found it.  It was in a box labeled 45's and Odds and Ends.  I think we both saw it and assumed it was all 45s.  I had a strong hunch that we hadn't lost the box in the move, but we had looked in almost every box.  

--I thought I might need a drying rack, but then it occurred to me that I have clothes pins and a shower curtain.  This solution has delighted me this week as I've been seeing how long it takes for my hand-washed socks to dry.


--I thought about how much this image looks like some odd installation art project, which made me think about this arrangement of leaves that I made on a huge tree stump the other morning:



I sent a copy of the picture to my teacher, who had us do this type of art for last Thursday's class.  I think it brought her great joy to know that I continued to experiment.

--I continue to be impressed with the faculty here at Wesley.  I feel so fortunate to be able to learn from them.

--Last Friday I made pumpkin bread, and I have enjoyed having it for breakfast every morning until I finished the last of the 2 loaves yesterday.





--Pumpkin bread was not the only treat I got this week.  Last Friday, when I was out and about trying to get my vaccine booster, I missed the narrow window that I have to pick up packages from the mailroom, so I had to wait until Monday to get my care package from my home church:



Cookies and notes of encouragement!  And I used the quilt that my church got me as my going away present for a back drop.

No comments: