Monday, September 19, 2022

Week 4 of Satisfying Seminary Life

This morning, I thought, three weeks ago, I would have been waking up to my first morning in this seminary apartment.  Let me collect some reflections about living here for the first three weeks:

--People ask me if I'm settling in, and the most true answer is that it's complicated.  I've continued to leave each week-end, and there was the Labor Day holiday.  This week will be the most settled in that I've been, with a full week of classes that are starting to require more of me followed by a week-end where I don't leave town.

--Last night I dreamed I was moving into seminary housing.  It was slightly different, but also on a middle floor.  The former tenant in my dream had pasted sea shells to the wall.

--I do not miss people with the yearning that I expected to feel, but a melancholy loneliness does descend from time to time.

--I am enjoying my walks.  It's a beautiful neighborhood that I'd likely never have had a chance to explore this way without living in seminary housing.  



--It's beginning to look a bit like Halloween.


--Here's a longer view of the house:



--Last night was the first night I wished I had a TV.  I did bring one with me, so I tried to connect it.  The TV and the antenna were not communicating.  After half an hour, I finally just went to bed and read one more chapter of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

--I'm enjoying Wolf Hall, but it's not compelling the way I'd like fiction to be.  On the other hand, I can read a chapter and still get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

--Today I have a class at 6:30, but that still leaves plenty of time for bread making and working on some seminary projects.  I will also make some apple butter.  I've got lots of apples that will need to be used up soon.

--And because I will need a jar for my apple butter, I'll have pasta with jarred tomato sauce for my lunch--then I'll clean up the jar for the apple butter.

It's a glamorous life, isn't it?  A morning walk through all sorts of beautiful streets, a video chat with my spouse, some bread baking and seminary work, an afternoon walk, more seminary work, and then class.  So far, even though it isn't glamorous, it's very satisfying.

No comments: