Thursday, July 21, 2016

Affirming Life in the Face of Chaos

Last night, as I drove home into the setting sun, I listened to a bit of coverage of the Republican National Convention on the radio.  I felt bleak after hearing those chants of "Lock her up." 

Or did I feel bleak for another reason?  I spent parts of the day looking for good quotes for the frontispiece of my chapbook--yes, the production schedule is at least 8 weeks behind.  So I did some reading in recent climate science books, and I found some good quotes, but man, that reading is bleak.

So this morning, I resolved to do some life-affirming activities.

I've been trying to cook a pot of black beans for several days now--they are the world's most recalcitrant black beans, so resistant to heat and softening.  I am resisting the urge to make a metaphor out of these black beans.

I've been wrestling with two poems this morning--it's been a more successful experience than the one on Tuesday.  I'm still not back to my best poet self, where the words flow and the images surprise and delight me.  But I didn't feel as creaky this morning.

I wish I had more time this morning.  I want to bake bread.  I want to write a bit more.  But my leisurely morning is coming to an end, and I must get these chapbook galleys in the mail.

No comments: