Monday, April 2, 2018

Preparing a Campus for National Poetry Month

On Friday, I took down the Women's History month bulletin board and started the assembly for National Poetry month.  When I was at the AWP conference at the beginning of March, I got a poster.  But what else to add?




I remembered that once, I used to post writing prompts on this blog--and occasionally in early April, I posted a prompt for every day.  So, I used those as a base, changed a few, and voila!  My bulletin board was complete.




Last week we were on a brief break between quarters, so I didn't have any students to watch interact with the bulletin board.  So I pulled a few colleagues in.  I was happy that one of them left declaring she would write a poem.



We have interest in having a poetry competition--so perhaps we will do that or perhaps just a reading.  We'll celebrate Poem in Your Pocket Day on the last Thursday of the month--what food would go well with that?



In the library, I've created a display of poetry books from a wide variety of poets.  I love creating these book displays and bulletin boards. 



I'm happy to be at a place that allows me to do that, even if I'm often the only one that remembers/knows about these month-long festivals.

No comments: