Monday, April 22, 2019

Easter Sunday: A Last Look Back

For all my talk about not making an Easter casserole, we did end up having one yesterday.  My spouse went early to church for choir rehearsal, and my sister and I decided to see what we could put together.  Our mom usually made an egg bake casserole overnight, but we thought it might work even without a soaking time.  I tore up slices of bread in a layer, layered it with shredded cheddar, put another layer of torn up bread slices, and poured whisked eggs and milk over the whole thing.  We baked it for about 25 minutes and dug in.

It was delicious!  I'm having some more this morning before I go to work.

I took my sister and nephew to the airport and then went to the Publix by my school for the bread and baked goods pick up.  But because the store was closed yesterday, they had thrown out the buggies of food on Saturday night.  Oh well.  I did get two cakes in the shape of Easter eggs.

We had a great visit with my sister and nephew.  It was much more relaxed than some years.  Some years we've spent a lot of time shopping.  Some years we've gone to attractions like water parks or the beach.  This year we spent most of our time by the pool or in the pool.  It was perfect weather with perfect pool and air temperatures, and we had a great time.

We did go to church for Easter service, which at one point I thought we wouldn't do.  But I'm glad we went.  It was good to see all of my regular church friends and to see such a packed church.  I do always wonder why people want to come to church for Easter Sunday, and not again.  Some pews were filled by people I've never seen before, and they didn't seem to be the family members of those who were there.  What tie do they have?  Were we on the way to somewhere else?

Here's my favorite memory of the day, aside from our impromptu brunch before church:  at church, we finished the first Easter hymn and from somewhere near the back, a little voice proclaimed, "Yay!" Our pastor smiled and said, "Ah, the Easter yay." The little voice said it several more times. I was so glad that we didn't hear any shushing.

This week will be a short work week for me.  I leave for the Create in Me retreat on Thursday.  My spouse will stay behind to teach and to perform in the Broward Chorale concert on Saturday.

No comments: