Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The First Night in the New Kitchen

We have made the first dinner in our new kitchen--or perhaps I should say, we have made our first dinner in the kitchen with countertops and a working sink since September of 2018.

We have had our first argument in the new kitchen with countertops and a working sink.  We want to preserve the sheen of the Corian, but we also want to be able to function in it.  I don't quite trust my spouse to be careful.

In my defense, in our last kitchen remodel, one of my main memories is of my spouse picking me up at the airport and saying, "I scratched all the countertops today when I put the boxes on top of them to unpack them.  I thought these counters were supposed to be tougher than that."

We have gotten conflicting messages about what the Corian can stand.  It seems like a metaphor for much of life.

We have washed the dishes in the new kitchen with countertops and a working sink.  We will have a working dishwasher at some point (she says with hope in her voice), but right now, the electrician needs to figure out a way to get electric to it.

I realized that during the reconstruction process, the plastic drying rack got a split in it.  When we were leaving the dishes to drain in the bathtub, it didn't matter that the drying rack had a split.  Now, water goes over the new counters.

We still have a ways to go before the kitchen is finished:  electrical finish work, undercounter lights installed, a backsplash, and lots of dishes to unpack.  But we now have a functioning kitchen again, which is wonderful.  It is good to wash dishes in a deep sink while standing upright.

No comments: