Tuesday, April 2, 2019

The Downside of AWP

I've been writing about the AWP conference in breathless, glowing terms.  Let me write today about some of the downsides of the conference.

When I arrived in Portland, Oregon, I thought about how different this convention center seemed from those in other towns, and as the conference progressed, my opinion just solidified.  The conference center is in a tangle of Interstate highways, and if there were hotels within an easy walking distance, I didn't see them.  We found one place that served food within an easy walk, but it didn't have many places for people to sit, and of course, every seat was taken.

Happily, there was a light rail system, so we were able to get around.  I took it after the Colson Whitehead keynote speech, which meant I took it after 10 p.m., and it was reliable and seemed safe.  I didn't try to master it enough to get to offsite events, but that was more about my energy levels than the system.

I know that the conference needs a huge convention center to be able to offer all the panels that it does.  Some part of me wonders if we might do better with fewer panels.  At the very least, the organizers should make sure that each time chunk has completely different panels, and for the most part, that happens.  There was one time period that contained two panels about a very esoteric topic that sounded similar.  I don't envy conference organizers.

I also didn't envy anyone who had any sort of mobility issue.  The conference center was vast and sprawling and under construction.  Some of the passage ways were very narrow.  I averaged 15,000 steps a day, and I wasn't doing any exercising to boost that amount.

I would also change the way that name badges are distributed.  The lines on the first morning were very long.  Yes, it would be great if we could all arrive the day before to get our materials, but we can't.  Why not send me a one-use code so that I can print my badge at home and bring it with me?  Is the AWP really concerned that I'll print a badge for all my friends?

I have larger concerns.  I think about the cost of the conference--the literal costs and the larger costs.  I think about the travel that most of us did, and the burden the planet bears when we all take planes and cars.  I think about how much the conference costs each attendee.  The cost of the conference itself is very reasonable, but factoring in the hotel, the plane, and the food I needed to buy, my friend and I guessed that the conference cost us each over $1000.  Is that the best use of money?

Some years I say yes, and some years I say no.  I do find it inspiring.  I did return home brimming with ideas.  I do realize that I'm lucky that I have resources.  I don't know how all these students afford this conference--student loans?  Is the conference worth debt?

I also know that I don't make as much use of the conference as I could.  I could go to every table in the bookfair to make connections or at the very least, to see how books look in real life--are they worth the price of submission?  But I don't.

I'm not even very good at making advance plans to meet people I'd like to meet, old friends and blogging friends and Facebook friends.  It's not like a smaller retreat where there's a real chance for connection.  I can't figure out very far in advance where I'll be, in terms of sessions offered.

All of this being said, I'm planning to go to next year's AWP in San Antonio.  I've always wanted to go to San Antonio, and a conference gives me a good reason.  Perhaps I'll go a day early to see more of the town.  Perhaps I'll take a day off on the other end to recover.  It will be held in early March, which is better for me than late March.  I couldn't take yesterday off because it was the beginning of the term.

I'm looking forward to having some time tonight to continue to process all of this--or to unpack.

1 comment:

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Do you...
1) love Almighty God?
2) love your neighbor?
Cya Upstairs soon ♥️