Monday, October 30, 2017

Stormy Weather and the Calm to Come

Yesterday afternoon, I restored the porch to look like this:



You may be saying, "Did I miss something?"  Well, yes, if you're not paying attention to the tropics, you may have missed that we had Tropical Storm Phillippe over the week-end.  I felt a bit spooked because of Hurricane Irma, so I took down the wind chimes and moved the mums and the pumpkins to the floor of the front porch.

Saturday was overcast but pleasant to begin.  I did some weeding and took out the trash and the recycling, because we were expecting bad weather through the week-end.

We waited for the bad weather to start.  After our nap, I made a pot of seafood chowder.  There were some rain showers, but nothing tropical.

It wasn't until Saturday evening that we got one gusty band that made me feel happy that I had moved stuff on the porch.  But that was it.  By Sunday morning, the rains had cleared out, and by afternoon, with the help of a cold front, the weather had turned into perfect front porch weather.

Above, you can see my spouse playing violin, after he changed out the strings.  I pulled Marge Piercy's Sleeping with Cats off the shelf.  I was just going to look up some questions I had as I'm rereading Braided Lives, but I ended up reading much of Piercy's memoir while nibbling white stilton with cranberry cheese and drinking wine. 

It was the perfect way to restore my spirits for the week to come--lots of Halloween activities at school and dinner with a friend on All Souls Day (Nov. 2).  I expect it to be a busy week, but a good one.

No comments: