Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Reasons for Giving Thanks: the Seminary Perfect Day Edition

Yesterday was a wonderful day at seminary.  I went to chapel, as I try to do every Tuesday.  Yesterday we celebrated international students, so 2 of our students, one from the Democratic Republic of Congo and one from Angola, led us in the singing of "Tambira Jehova."  We had 3 readings, and each person read in English and then again in a different language.  Then the Rev. Canon Jan Naylor Cope, a Wesley alum and the Provost in the Washington National Cathedral, preached on Esther, reminding us that we, too, have been called for such a time as this.  It was a sermon that felt like she crafted it just for me.  Throughout it all, the Sumi-e artist Yoshiko Oishi Weick painted on rice paper.

After chapel, most of us went over to the Refectory for a Thanksgiving dinner.  We had what you might expect:  turkey, green salad, yams, rice, mac and cheese.  We had what you might not expect:  iced tea punch (like carbonated iced tea), cake (no pumpkin pie alas), salmon.  I ate 2 helpings and then took salad and cake for later.

This week's Pastoral Care and Counseling in Context class was easier than last week's class.  Last week we talked about pastoral care in the face of natural disaster--lots of feelings and a deep, cleansing weeping after class.  You might say, "I think you have some unrecognized grief about climate change and the decisions it forced you to make," to which I would reply, "No, I'm deeply aware of this grief, thanks."  This week we talked about grieving, trauma, and responses.

Then I popped over for an in-person presentation on the round nave churches of medieval England:


Imagine this picture on a big screen, with all the lights out in the conference room--beautiful.  The lecture by Dr. Catherine E. Hundley was fascinating.  The lecture had a different academic vibe than much of my seminary work; it made my Brit Lit PhD self happy.  I sometimes forget that my Brit Lit PhD self is still there--reading Mary Shelley and the Brontes while drinking tea, no doubt. 

I had thought that the presentation was Thursday, but one of my lunch companions said it was Tuesday.  I wouldn't have looked it up to double-check, so I was doubly thankful for lunch.  I was the only student there, but I felt welcome.  It was a small group gathered to hear the lecture, so I didn't feel out of place.  On a day of dreary weather that turned into cold rain, I was glad that I didn't have to go far.

I finished the day by going to my Foundations of Preaching class.  It was wonderful, as always, but towards the end, I was really struggling to stay awake.  I thought about reading news articles about Trump's announcement that he will run for president again--but why ruin a nearly perfect day with that ending note?

Similarly, we got an e-mail from the Wesley president.  It's ostensibly good news, with the announcement that building plans have been approved.  But that news means that at some point, my campus apartment building will be torn down for the new building.  

For now, I've got a cheap-ish place to live while I do seminary work.  Should that change, I'll make a new plan.  I sound very grounded and sensible, don't I?  For now, for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your day! Sounds pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Tony Cruz, btw