Thursday, November 24, 2022

Thanksgiving 2022: So Similar, So Different

Early morning, Thanksgiving 2022, in some ways so similar to past Thanksgivings.  Much of my extended family has gathered at the ramshackle house at Lutheridge, the Lutheran church camp where we've been gathering for a family holiday reunion for 27 or 28 years, only missing 1 year because of Covid.  The turkey is defrosting in the sink.  We have collected more desserts than we will be able to eat in the half week that we're together.  I'm up earlier than everyone else, getting some writing done before it's time for family, food, and gratitude.

But in many ways this Thanksgiving is different.  Let me count the ways.

--This year, my spouse and I own a house near by.  So, last night, when dinner prep was under way, and we discovered we needed olive oil, instead of running to the crowded grocery store, we went back to our house and brought a bottle back.  We no longer own a house in South Florida--our travel time has changed radically this year.

--This year, one of our family units has moved too far away to be able to come to us.  We hope to do a virtual meet up tonight.

--It's still somewhat shocking to me to look around the room and see teenagers instead of little children.  Happily, these teenagers are willing to be involved with us.  We have played a variety of games.  I still remembered how to play Yahtzee, but it took a lot of rule reading to remember the intricacies of Backgammon (and I'm still not sure we had it right).  Apples to Apples is almost as much fun as a spectator sport as being a participant.

--I spent time yesterday learning how to turn my phone into a hot spot.  It turned out to be surprisingly easy.  However, I hope not to do this trick too often, because it really does use a lot of data, and we don't have an unlimited data plan.

--I don't have as much seminary work to do as last year.  Part of that is a trick of timing, since Thanksgiving comes so early this year.  I'll still have 3 weeks to complete work when I get back.  Part of that is because I'm no longer working my full-time job, so I don't have to take advantage of every scrap of spare time.

--In the past year, I've been severed from my full-time job, and I've had my first bone break (my broken wrist).  The idea that Europe will always be at peace not war has been shattered.  Lots of breaking in the past year.

--But as I've reflected on the changes in my personal life, I do feel less stressed.  I am so grateful to be able to focus on my seminary classes.  I am so grateful that I'm not preparing for any upcoming accreditor visits, annual reviews, or the other minutiae that consumed my administrator life.  I am so grateful that we sold our house in flood and hurricane prone south Florida.  I am so grateful to be able to gather in this way and so aware that all our circumstances could be very different by next year's Thanksgiving, which enlarges my gratitude.

No comments: