Saturday, December 16, 2023

Dryers and Estate Dealers

I spent part of my first day of winter break catching up on tasks that I've put off.  I finally scheduled an appointment to get the dryer working, and that happened yesterday.  Since it was still under warranty, we didn't have to pay to be told that the plug wasn't in the socket exactly correctly.  I might be more annoyed with us if we had paid $60.00 to $150.00 for a service call to be told that.  We've made the best of the space we have, but the new laundry room is very tiny.  As long as everything is working, it's great--why waste space on that room?  But getting to panels, plugs, hoses, drains, connections--it's barely workable.

Hopefully, because the machines are new, we won't have to think about them again any time soon.  But I am fretful.

Since I got back here in May, I've known that I needed a dresser.  I've needed a dresser for decades, but we've often had closets that I could make work, with drawers in our bedside table holding things like socks and undergarments.  But I knew our closet size would be reduced in this small mountain house.

I've gone to thrift stores and resale places and the kinds of antique stores where not everything is ghastly expensive.  I knew I wanted a tall dresser, since space is at a premium.  One piece caught my eye, less a dresser and more like a tall cabinet with lots of shelves behind the two doors.  I worried that it wasn't quite right, so I didn't buy it in November.  Plus, I knew that the estate sale dealers would be having a sale this week-end.  I risked losing the piece by leaving it.

I looked at other dressers in the intervening month, but my mind kept coming back to the tall cabinet.  And yesterday, I went back, and it was there.  I knew it would be 50% off today; yesterday it was 25% off.  I asked the dealer if she'd give me a 35% reduction yesterday, and she said yes.

After we finished with the kind dryer repair person, we went back to get the cabinet.  Much of the rest of the day was getting it on casters so it would roll, and getting it inside, which meant moving lots of stuff.  

It works perfectly for me.  I had hoped that there might be extra shelves, and once we get the bathrooms done, there might be.

I was glad to get the 35% off, glad to be able to get the task done yesterday--I knew it would consume a lot of time, and I'm pretty sure the pace at the store will be more hectic today.

And now, to get my sermon for tomorrow done.  One more John the Baptist Sunday to go!

No comments: