Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Rainy Holiday Movie Afternoon

I have been sad at the fact that it's so hard to choose something to watch these days--first world problems, I know.  When talking to a grad school friend the other day, I was opining about how it used to be much easier--there were just a few channels, and that's how I came to watch many a classic movie or old TV show.  Even the days when I first got cable TV, back in the 90's, seem much more manageable, with only 30-60 channels, and only about 10 of those that I cared about.

Now my Roku stick seems to stream every show ever invented, each with its own channel.  I can't choose which episode of America's Test Kitchen or The Great British Baking Show that I watch, but it's there, much of the day, on its own channel devoted to it.  There are thousands of channels, so I have no idea what my options are.

My spouse has found some shows that he loves but that bore me after awhile--shows about people who bid on abandoned storage units or bid to be the one to haul a strange object across the country in a short period of time or lumberjacks in different parts of the country.  He can watch those shows literally all day.

Yesterday, we happened to see that A Christmas Story was coming on at noon, and we haven't seen it yet.  We've got the DVD in a box somewhere, but we haven't had the energy to look for it.  So, we watched it, the old-fashioned way, on a Roku channel that had Christmas programming still.  And after that, It's a Wonderful Life.  I've seen that movie from beginning to end only a few times--it's quite a time commitment. This version was colorized, which I think I might prefer, even as I understand the reasons why people are outraged over colorization.

Yesterday was a rainy, rainy day in our part of the Southern Appalachians, so it was delightful to keep Christmas going a bit longer.  We sat and watched the rain rolling through.  I did a lot of hand sewing on my log cabin patches.  By the end, my spouse was snoozing, but I was enchanted by the story of George, who wanted to travel, but instead stayed put, making a difference in many small ways that added up over a life.

No comments: