Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Triune God as Quilt, Human Condition as Molasses Cookie, Hambone Soup as Metaphor for All

Once again, I am feeling too fragmented to write a coherent blog post.  Let me capture some of the scraps and see if they make a quilt.

--I want to record one idea, but not write about it in detail, in case I use it in my Systematic Theology paper.  Using quilts to understand the idea of a Triune God.  But which part is which?  Is the patchwork top more like God the Creator, God the Redeemer/Son, or God the Holy Spirit?  The batting which most people never see and the back which some prefer?

--Yesterday I made a batch of gingersnaps to use up the bit of molasses that I had left.  I was trying for molasses crinkle cookies, which I had at first, but these cookies have cooled to a level of hardness that boggles my imagination, considering where they were when I took them out of the oven.  Could that cookie be a metaphor for the Triune God?  Perhaps they work better as a metaphor for the human condition.  We begin warm and bendy and sometimes barely able to hold our shape, and then we age into brittleness, but with a soft bit here and there.

--By the time this week ends, I will have consumed as much butter (by way of baked goods) in a week as I usually do in a month or two.

--We got the hambone that was left after Thanksgiving.  My sister planned to take it, but then she forgot.  On Sunday, we made a batch of soup with the hambone and 2 pounds of dried beans, along with a few carrots and celery stalks.  It was amazingly delicious.  I usually like legumes well enough, but I rarely call them amazingly delicious.

--This experience is my second experience with a hambone,  which produced the same results two years ago, when I first cooked with the leftover bone.  It was so good that I called the Honeybaked Ham store to see if they sold leftover bones.  I figured that they must have some, since they sell the meat separately and they prepare sandwiches.  They do sell just the bone, for $8 or $9 a bone.  Hurrah!

--My spouse wonders if bones from the Honeybaked Ham store will have as much meat left on it as our family hambone did.  For me, it's not about the ham to put in the soup, but the way the hambone flavors the soup.

--My inner 19 year old Kristin is appalled.  She was a strict vegetarian who inwardly scoffed at the people who told her how much flavor she was missing when she ate vegetables that hadn't been cooked with meat.  Younger Kristin had never had a hambone soup like the one I have in the fridge.

--I feel like I should try to make some sort of metaphor out of hambone soup, just to provide structure to this blog post.  Hambone soup as community?  Hambone soup as metaphor for Triune God?  God the Creator is the hambone, God the Holy Spirit as the bean mix, and God the Son/Redeemer as the carrots, celery and spices?  By the end of our soup making process, only the hambone had maintained its distinct characteristic.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for this, which will serve as my devotion for the morning and throughout the day. I think I know how I'd argue the quilt metaphor, but the hambone metaphor will be working on me and in me today (the way a hambone does in beans)

Wendy said...

I expect that hambone soup will be EVEN BETTER after being in the fridge overnight. This is making me want hambone soup.

marilynonaroll said...

Fantastic post.