Friday, October 29, 2021

Last Days of Daylight Savings Time

I almost always take my morning walk at the same time, around 6 a.m.  These days, there's only a hint of sunrise when I get to the lake; we are far from the blazing sunrise of summer.  In some ways, it means I'm not distracted by those intense colors of the morning.  There's still much to see in the dark:

--Yesterday morning on my walk, I saw a shooting star.  Yes, I know I should be scientifically accurate and call it a meteor.  Frankly, my poet self doesn't think either of those terms accurately describe what I saw.  I saw a slender sliver of a shooting star, a silver thread.  I knew it wasn't a plane because of its descent and disappearance.  Did I make a wish?  

--I saw a solitary bird fly overhead, and if it hadn't made a sound, I wouldn't have looked up..  When I looked back down, I saw a feather on the grass.  It was wet when I picked it up, so it probably wasn't from that bird.  I thought about flight and falling and the Emily Dickinson quote, about hope being a thing with feathers.

--From the distance of several blocks, I saw the neighborhood fox trot across the street, fully lit by the streetlamps.  You might ask, "How do you know it was a fox, not a cat?"  In part because of the confidence of the walk, and in part because the tail was held up--most cats don't hold their tails up in that way when they walk.  You might ask, "How do you know it was a fox and not a coyote?"  I can't be sure, because I couldn't see the shape of the tail.  

I am already feeling a bit sad about the end of daylight savings time, about how light it will be when I walk.  I am feeling sad that all these Halloween lights and decorations will be banished soon.  I am sad about how it is still warm, humid, and windless.

But I am happy about the wonders of nature, about feeling like I'm the only one out and about, about having time to ramble, and having mobility, even with the aches and pains that come with middle age and arthritic feet.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Feeling your feelings!