Monday, October 4, 2021

Notes from a Subdued Week-end

It has been a strange week-end, a subdued week-end, with a spouse who spiraled in and out of feeling sick.  Let me capture some of the highlights:

--On Friday night, I didn't realize we'd be having a subdued week-end.  Off I headed to Studio 18, where 2 musician friends had a gig in front of live people.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew they'd only be playing for an hour, so it seemed manageable.  My spouse stayed home to teach his Friday night class remotely and synchronously.  The music was lovely, and it was an art gallery opening, so it was great to wander through the venue, feeling inspired.

--On Saturday, we had planned to take carloads of stuff from the house to the condo.  But we are still in the 15 day period where the buyer could change her mind with no serious penalty, so we debated over whether or not it was premature to assume the house is off the market.  In the end, we took a few boxes, but left the house set up for showing.

--It was on Saturday that my spouse felt at his worse, so that helped make our decision to abandon our idea of a work Saturday at the house.  We came back to the condo, and my spouse went back to bed.  I did work for seminary classes.

--We had a quiet night on Saturday, sitting on the balcony that we had draped with October lights, drinking some wine, eating some cheese and crackers.

--On Sunday, my spouse was still not quite restored.  We decided not to go to church.  I was feeling fine, but with a sick spouse in these pandemic days, it makes senses not to go to in-person church, not to risk giving our elderly parishioners any of the crud we may be carrying.  My spouse went back to bed, and I did work for seminary classes.

--I thought about the fact that I have chicken stock in the freezer for just such a moment as this.  I  walked to Publix and bought some chicken thighs to add to the chicken stock.  I came back and did more work for seminary classes.

After a quiet afternoon of Yahtzee and old episodes of Shark Tank, we called it a week-end.  Not the worst week-end, I've ever had, especially since my spouse is on the mend.

No comments: