Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Week-end Creativity Report

I have had "Faith of Our Fathers" running through my brain for a few days.  In a way, it makes sense--we sang it at the retreat.  But we also sang so many other songs.  Why does my brain seize on that one song?  It does this every week, so it's an ongoing question.

But not every Sunday ends this way:




My friend played her ukelele, and we sang along at the top of our lungs as we drove the Turnpike south to home.  Why didn't my brain seize on one of those songs?

I did bring my ukulele (it's the smaller one laying on top of the chord chart in the front bottom middle of the picture), even though I was fairly sure I wouldn't be working with it too much.  That's what I love about it--it's so small and lightweight.  

I spent much of my time working on seminary classes and sketches for an online class that I'm taking that is journaling through Barbara A. Holmes' Crisis Contemplation:  Healing the Wounded Village.  Here's my favorite sketch of the week-end:



Here's what inspired it:

"The truth of the matter is that we live on a mysterious planet, with other living beings, whose interiority and spiritual realities that are just beyond our cognitive reach.

If life, as we experience it, is a fragile crystal orb that holds our daily routines and dreams of order and stability, then sudden and catastrophic crises shatter this illusion of normalcy.  . . .

As a crisis reaches the point where we experience spiritual and psychic dissolution, contemplation takes the form of a freefall through our carefully woven safety nets of 'normalcy'" (p. 19-20)

These words, along with the ones I wrote down earlier on Saturday, about safety nets and spider webs, were ones I was thinking of as I created this sketch. I was remembering the quote mistakenly, thinking that life was held in a fragile crystal cup, an image I also like.

No comments: