Saturday, April 8, 2023

A Visit to the Virginia Quilt Museum

At the quilt retreat in November, one of our group told us about a show that would be at the Virginia Quilt Museum, a retrospective of Jinny Beyer, a woman who is a luminary to so many quilters.



I planned to stop at the Virginia Quilt Museum on one of my trips back and forth between seminary and our Lutheridge house.  But the months went by, and I didn't go, in large part, because the museum is closed on Mondays, the day when I've been driving back from North Carolina.



The museum is in Harrisonburg, and usually, I've left my seminary apartment too early to stop on my way to North Carolina, but on Wednesday, I decided to change my departure time so that I could stop in.  The Beyer exhibit was in its final days.



It was worth the stop.  Below is a close up shot of the quilt above, a quilt where no fabric repeats:



How much fabric would that be?  I have no idea.  Her quilts were beautiful, but didn't make me want to try what she has done.  It just made my head hurt at all the calculations that would need to be done.  The colors, however, made my heart sing.


There were other quilts too.  Lisa Ellis had an exhibition in one of the galleries.  Her quilts used the Cathedral Window pattern, another mind aching pattern.  But I do love the way it looks:


She did all sorts of things with this pattern, including making a sculpture that evokes wind chimes:



There were other quilts, too, historic quilts.



Here's a close up--a way to use up so many tiny scraps:




In addition to the antique sewing machines in the galleries and hallways, there was a whole room of antique machines, including this cabinet.



It included some of the smallest machines I've ever seen.



All too soon, it was time to be on my way again.  I made my way back to the parking garage where the parking was free, away from the picturesque downtown that had an Asheville in the 80's kind of vibe.  But I carried those quilts with me in pictures and in my brain, and I'm looking forward to a time to quilt again.



No comments: