Thursday, April 27, 2023

Patterns Made with Detritus

Before moving on to other topics, one last post about silk scarves.  






The main way that we got this variety of patterns was with rubber bands--tie dye, basically:




I had done tie dye many times before.  Long ago, I was part of a department that had a quarterly festival, complete with tie dye.  So I decided to try something else.  I looked down and saw lots of tulip petals, both purple and yellow.  So I put them onto the silk, in a circle, and I ended up with this gorgeous pattern.



I also tried dying another scarf with a leaf, and some detritus from a tree.







But that approach yielded a more subtle pattern.




To be honest, I'm not real sure which scarf goes with which approach.  I also experiment with mixing dyes, so the green in each scarf may come from the vegetative matter or it may come from some dye mixing.  It doesn't really matter, since I was just having fun with the experiment.  I don't need to replicate it.

No comments: