On my first day of class every year, I'm always tempted to post a picture, the way that parents post pictures of their kids as they head off to school. This year, the temptation is especially strong, as today begins a slightly different direction in my teaching life. Today is the first day that I am teaching as an Associate Professor on a tenure track.
In some ways, not much will change. I'm at the same school where I've been teaching full-time for 2 years in a year-to-year capacity. I'm teaching the same classes, and I have the same schedule. But this year, I have the assurance of being able to do this teaching work for at least the next 5 years. Being on the tenure track means the school has more of a commitment to me than before.
This year I will have committee work, and we got our assignments yesterday. I am on the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee. As I looked at the other possible committees, I felt very seen with my assignment. I'm not exactly sure what the committee does, but fellow members include the chaplain and the person in charge of co-curricular arts experiences.
Now that I'm on the tenure track, I'll be more meticulous about keeping records and keeping them accessible across years. I always keep teaching evaluations, for example, but I rarely download them into a separate file. Now I will, and upon the advice of two colleagues who have just gone up for tenure, I know how to create the master file for the tenure portfolio (class by class, not year by year).
Those of you who have been following my seminary/candidacy journey might be feeling confused and wondering what happened to that. I continue a Synod Authorized Minister at Faith Lutheran in Bristol, Tennessee. When our fixer-upper is ready for us to move some furniture into, I'll be in Spartanburg for part of the week and Arden at our Lutheridge house for part of the week, driving up and back to Bristol each Sunday. I hope to spend summers in Arden, which is a much better place to spend summers on a climate change ravaged planet than most other places I could choose.
This morning, I'm thinking about that day in 2023 when I went down for the first day of teaching; I blogged about it here. It's strange to think about how much has changed since that day. Back then, I wasn't sure where my office would be or if I would even have a key. Back then, I taught two classes, both on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I'm going to use the 2023 end to that blog post to end today's post--it still works:
I am thinking back to my first day of teaching, long ago in 1988. I didn't bring water with me everywhere I went. I showed up with syllabi, which I handed out. And then I stationed myself behind a podium, where I kept a death grip for the whole class.
I am lucky--that first class was bright and engaged and wonderful. My life might have taken a very different trajectory had I been assigned a different class. I'm glad that I had the group of students that I did.
Let me go take a walk; I likely won't have a chance later today.
No comments:
Post a Comment