Monday, August 3, 2026

Late Summer in One Picture

This picture captures certain elements of the last half of summer:



I'm thrilled that so many people are so engaged with The Odyssey.  I won't go to the movie, probably, for many reasons, but I'm glad people are going.  Maybe in a future year, we can get the story of Penelope or maybe Mary Magdalene, women left behind.

We haven't had that many days of low humidity and lower heat, so this picture captures a perfect summer day, which I decided to make a drinking day, also not a regular event for me this summer.

It's been such a good tomato summer that I wanted fresh basil.  It was easier to buy a drooping basil plant than to trust the produce section.  My spouse pointed out that the pot contained 3 plants, and we repotted them.  Seeing them perk up has made me inordinately happy.

Today I am taking advantage of the last days of summer to go see grad school friends in Columbia, SC.  Hard to believe it's been almost 40 years since I was starting grad school there, back in August of 1987.

No comments: