At one point yesterday evening, as I began to despair at ever getting my huge quilt done, I thought of my grandmother. When I asked her to teach me to quilt, she snorted and said, "Why would you want to quilt when you can just go to Wal-Mart and buy a blanket for six dollars?"
That price tells you how long ago it was. And yet, that dismissal remains. I think of how many people during Quilt Camp were astonished at my quilting by hand, by my quilting at all. Most people at Quilt Camp send their project to their favorite long arm quilter and pay to have the quilting done. And then they still need to do the binding to finish the quilt.
At times yesterday, I enjoyed the quilting with the multiple memories the fabric inspired: the few bits from clothes my grandmother made me, the bit from the quilt I made for my now-grown nephew for his first big boy bed, the various squares put together in slightly different ways, my experiment with smaller and smaller scraps. I thought of all the various friends who gave me their scraps.
I won't lie: putting together the quilt top is my favorite part of any project, especially in the early days of a project where I don't have to worry as much about how it will all come together into a unified whole.
I was also running on fumes for much of yesterday: I didn't sleep well because of achiness that comes from quilting for hours in strange positions, staffing the camp store, and an afternoon planning meeting that went long. By evening, I was despairing, having not made the progress I was anticipating.
I still have some quilting time this morning, and I'm already at the point where I need to be, the point where I can finish the quilt from my living room. It's the center part that needs to be stabilized before the rest can be done--and that part is much easier done the way I did it over the past two days.
I'm grateful to have had this time, but also a bit sad that I had to be so focused on this one project. Of course, the next Quilt Camp is only 2 months away, so I don't need to feel sad at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment