Yesterday was an overscheduled Saturday, full of rewarding activities, but almost too full. I had Zoom calls, one after another, along with a conference call with the church council which was meeting in Bristol, and a phone call to catch up with my sister. I volunteered at the Lutheridge Camp Store, a frustrating experience because I don't do it often, and can't quickly ring up purchases--we don't have a scanning system, but instead a touch screen where the volunteer clerk must look up items to add them to the cart.
At the end of the afternoon, I pulled out a different sewing project. I wanted to puzzle through a pattern for a ditty bag; I've said I would make several for a woman who is serving as a chaplain to those who work on boats and ships on the Mississippi River. I wasn't sure how the drawstrings would work, but they do. I went ahead and finished the whole thing by hand, even though I had only intended to figure out the drawstring mechanism.
Even though I went to bed very early, which is not unusual for me these days, I'm still a bit tired. We're at the time in the semester where the early enthusiasm is waning, and yet there is still so much to go. I have a similar thought about the S'burg fixer-upper house. We're making progress with floor sanding, but overall, there is still so much to go.
I've also felt a bit of melancholy as all the September 11 remembrances aired: so much loss with reverberations across the decades.
But let me also remember the joys of recent days, particularly when it comes to working together: my spouse and I strategizing about renting sanders, church folks figuring out how to help a fellow member, patrons at the camp store waiting patiently. Let me remember that my students are wonderful and thus, I want to be my best teacher self.
No comments:
Post a Comment