Friday, November 27, 2020

Black Friday and a Last Look at Thanksgiving

I have not had the normal Black Friday experience, at least not the one you see in popular media.  A side note:  I had that kind of Black Friday experience exactly once, long ago in the late 90's, when I went to a mall with my sister and cousins in Asheville, NC.  They were going to go regardless, so I tagged along.  I want nothing that money can buy to make that kind of effort, but someone else was driving, and my cousins are burly/tall guys, so I felt we wouldn't be trampled.

In the years since, we often went to the Frugal Backpacker and got AMAZING deals--but sadly, that store relocated from Arden, so going there wasn't easy anymore.  There have been a few trips to Wal-Mart with my mom and sister where I snagged a deal or two, but again, not worth the hassle to do it on my own.




This morning's experience was very different.  This morning, my spouse told me that we had at least 17 caterpillars on our milkweed--our milkweed which only had a few leaves left.  This happens periodically, and usually we let the caterpillars fend for themselves.  But this year, we needed a lot of items that I could pick up from a garden store:  herbs, tomato plants, potting soil.  So off I went to Flamingo Road Nursery, out in the western part of the county--sadly, one must go way west to find a place that sells milkweed.





It was a beautiful morning to be out in a garden center, and Flamingo Road Nursery is a soul-soothing garden center.  I stocked up on some healthy milkweed and then I wandered amongst the herbs--oh bliss!  I picked up some tomato plants and a pepper plant.  I picked up more herbs.  I dallied in the Christmas area--I had promised my spouse that I wouldn't buy a tree, and I wondered if a potted tree would violate my promise.  I moved my mask for one brief moment to inhale a pine branch.





I thought about poinsettias, but in the end I bought some striped petunias.  They sort of have a candy cane effect, although I'm aware that they may have looked more like that in the holiday display with other white and red flowers.  I really wanted a rosemary bush that had been pruned to look like a Christmas tree, but they didn't have those.  Of course, they had plenty of other things.  I tried to be mindful of my small car as I made my selections:






I could have bought more--the whole back seat was empty.  But of course, there was also the household budget to consider.  Still, I was sorely tempted to go back and get more herbs and garden plants and several more bags of potting soil:





I came home happy.  I thought about when I was young and would save my money to go to B. Dalton Bookseller with the idea that I would buy all the books I wanted.  I thought about how lucky I am that my spouse will not be angry that I spent so much money on dirt and plants.  I thought about how many people are out on the road.

I also thought back to Thanksgiving, which I enjoyed thoroughly, even though it was different from Thanksgivings of the past.  I made this Facebook Post:    "I don't really need to pull out this recipe; I've memorized it. But I love seeing my mom's handwriting, and remembering the other women in the family who have made this dish through the years, as I will be making it today."





We had a lovely end of Thanksgiving with our quarantine pod, the friends we've seen throughout this pandemic; most of us are fairly isolated, and we've let each other know when we've done any activities (like out of state travel) that leaves us at risk.

We ate outside, as we always do when we're together, but instead of our usual cheese to go with our wine, last night we had a whole meal.  My spouse made a brisket, and our friends made a turkey.  We had a sweet potato souffle (recipe pictured above) and a pumpkin pie.  My friend made mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, and a carrot salad from her childhood.  We were so full that we didn't eat pie, although my spouse and I had a slice when we got home.

I thought it would take days to get everything repotted and placed, but my industrious spouse got it all done in a morning.  




I am a lucky woman.





As I thought, my striped petunias don't look as much like candy canes when they're not with white and red flowers.  But I love them anyway.  And I love this transition from autumn to petunia season.




I wish I had snapped a picture of this pumpkin a few days ago.  It really did have an enchanted house kind of look.  It also reminded me of those Easter eggs where you look inside and see a world.




And now it's time to decorate the inside of the house--for Christmas!









No comments: