Friday, November 20, 2020

Mepkin Abbey Reopening

 This week, I got an e-mail that let me know that Mepkin Abbey is open to retreatants during the month of December.  I'm assuming that they're trying this approach in December, and if it works well, they'll continue to offer private retreats into 2021.

But it's going to be a very different experience.  Meals will be brought to retreatants, which will be eaten in each retreatant's room.  I could adapt to that part fairly easily, although I did like the feeling of being part of the monastery community when I ate in the refectory back in the pre-pandemic days.

The monastery chapel is still closed to all but the monks.  Eucharist, Lauds, and Vespers will be streamed to the library conference room. The actual elements for the sacrament of eucharist will be brought to the library entrance.  I've been in the conference room before, and worshipping there would be very different from being in the chapel.  I would REALLY miss the Compline service.

One set of rules that I read said that masks must be worn at all times on the grounds except when eating.  The thought of wearing a mask as I walked around the grounds--well, it would be December, so it wouldn't be as miserable as during the warmer months. 

Clearly, it will be a very different retreat experience.  I think back on all the reasons why I've loved going to Mepkin Abbey on retreat, and some of those reasons would still be there.  I have loved having time to focus on writing and reading, and that aspect would still be there.  I've loved having time to ramble around the beautiful grounds, and for the most part, that opportunity would still be there, although I do wonder if the experience would be different while masked.

But one of the aspects I have always treasured is the opportunity to be part of every worship service, all 7-9 of them.  I love the way the rhythm of the Psalms sinks into my brain because I spend so much of every retreat chanting them with the monks.  That aspect will be reduced and perhaps eliminated.

When I went to quilt camp, I knew that one of the advantages I would have is that I hadn't been to quilt camp before.  It was going to be a different quilt camp regardless.  Previous quilt camps had been offered during the same time that Asheville hosted an enormous quilt show, so there were trips to the convention center.  This year, the quilt show was cancelled.

I wouldn't have that advantage of not having expectations if I returned to Mepkin.  But I have wondered if Mepkin would ever reopen, under any circumstance, so I am grateful to see that they seem to be on that road.  I am also grateful that they are still protecting the health of the monks, many of whom are quite elderly.  

We need those monks praying for us.  We may not all realize it, but we do.

No comments: