Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Record Setting Storm Season

And now we have set a new record--there's a new storm, Theta, which now means that 2020 has had more storms than 2005, the year that set the last record.

We had a very stormy week-end, particularly Sunday, as tropical storm Eta churned our way.  We were 130 miles away from the center of the storm at one point, and we had already seen over a foot of rain.

We didn't close the campus although all of our Monday classes were held virtually.  I was able to get to campus yesterday to find that there had been water intrusion in some rooms (where we usually have water intrusion) and no internet.  I stayed for a bit, in case there were students who hadn't gotten the message.  But no one else came to campus--or to the building at all.  So I locked the few doors that were open, reset the alarm, and came home, where I had internet and electricity.

This post will be brief, as I must now head to work.  I am grateful to have come out of Eta relatively unscathed.  Others in the area were not as lucky.  It was an astonishing amount of rain from a system that wasn't really close to us.

No comments: