Monday, November 23, 2020

Southeast Synod (ELCA) Advent Craft Day

 I realize that I haven't ever created a post about the Advent craft day I participated in on Sunday, November 15.  One of my Create in Me friends was asked to create a Synod-wide Zoom meeting where we would do crafts together.  They were simple crafts, the type you could do with small children.  We had a supply list, and the supplies were fairly cheap.

By now, most people in the industrialized world have a sense of what a Zoom meeting is like, so imagine that, along with breakout sessions where we actually created together.  





My breakout session group included 2 women with small children, so we didn't make use of the discussion questions provided to us; the mothers had enough to do corralling the wandering attention of the pre-schoolers.

The first thing we made was a prayer jar; we tore tissue paper and glued it onto jars.  I found it much messier than I anticipated.



We were also encouraged to take our popsicle sticks and put activities on there for Advent.  Then we could pull one out of the jar each day and do the activity.  We could do the same thing with prayers, with people/processes to pray for, or Bible readings for each day of Advent (the supply list has Bible verses and possible activities).

Then we did a Zentangling exercise.  I have tried Zentangling before at Create in Me retreats, and I don't find them as soothing and meditative as some do.  Still, I was able to create a zentangle:




Then we did Nativity story stones.  Here's the picture that was sent out to inspire us:





It quickly became apparent that I hadn't chosen stones that were large enough, but I did create one that I really liked:




You might ask what we would do with Nativity Story Stones.  You could carry one with you and meditate on its meaning.  You could tell the story and use the stones as story prompts.  One of my small group members talked about how wonderful it will be to have a Nativity set that children are encouraged to touch; they have an antique set that her children long to touch, but the mom doesn't want to risk the destruction.

You could do something similar with popsicle sticks and markers.  I created one of the 3 kings:




We spent two hours together, in virtual space, creating together while still staying distanced.  In fact, we were very distanced, as we had people Zooming in even outside of the southeastern states of the U.S.  It was a cool experience.  And because it was a Zoom meeting, it was recorded.  Go here to see the recording.

It was good to be reminded of how we can use technology to enhance our lives, our spiritual development, our fellowship opportunities, our creativity.  I hope we remember once we are no longer as constrained by the pandemic.


No comments: