Friday, November 6, 2020

Days of Binder Clip Repairs

On Tuesday, I made this Facebook post:  "Even with an election distracting me, there are still college administrator tasks that must be done. I fixed the toilet chain with a binder clip when I discovered that the metal part that attaches the chain to the handle was corroded so much that there was no longer a hole that would hold the chain in place. Another one for the 'things I never learned in grad school to prepare me for my academic job' file."

I am happy to report that the binder clip fix is still working.  I am weary with the realization that we will likely have the binder clip holding the chain until the building crumbles into dust.  My campus rents space from an owner who fixes the landscaping but leaves the gaping cracks in the edifice for all to see.

As we've been waiting for election results, and as I've been using that toilet throughout the week, I've been thinking about that binder clip as a metaphor for our election process.  Or maybe it's the whole flushing apparatus that's the metaphor.  It's old and rusted through in parts, but we still make it work.

Or maybe I'm comforted by a different metaphor.  We could wait for someone to come along and fix the rusted mechanisms of the nation--or we could do it ourselves.  We may not have the right tools.  We may not be able to get to the store to buy a new mechanism and do a replacement.  But we can look around, see what we have, and repurpose it to make a fix that lasts.

And so another day of waiting.  There are moments when I think we all may be safer in this liminal time when each side thinks they may still have a chance of winning, and therefore are less likely to take up arms.

1 comment: