Sunday, June 7, 2020

Our New Pizza Stones

Yesterday I was having a low energy day, but I managed to compile my inner resources and come up with a plan.  I had spent part of Friday night researching pizza stones that I had seen in a Facebook post of a friend.

Yesterday morning, I realized that the Williams Sonoma store might be open, and they might have what I wanted--which would mean we could be baking pizza by the afternoon!  I called, and they had what I wanted, but the store was open limited hours.

That was O.K.  I had time to make some pizza dough.  In the pre-pandemic time, I would have gone racing to the store and returned to realize that I should have made the dough before I left.

I went to Williams Sonoma, and it was a strange experience.  I found a parking space and the worker went to the back to get my pizza stones.  I browsed the sales area, and didn't see any of the items that the web site had.  I saw holiday spatulas (both autumn and Christmas), fall and winter towels and tablecloths.  I moved quickly before getting bogged down in the sadness about what all had changed.

Williams Sonoma is most of the way to Total Wine, so I went by there to stock up, and I stopped by a different Publix that was sort of on my way home.  Before I left the house, we had also realized we didn't have much in the way of pizza toppings.

I got home to find that my wonderful spouse had our pizza assembly station ready, with the oven pre-heating.  In almost no time, we got our pizzas assembled:




They were delicious.  Are they as delicious as the ones we made in the cast iron skillets?  Yes, but in a different way.

I like that the stones have handles, and I like that we can fit 2 of them in the oven.  We will be experimenting more today.  Perhaps I will also make some small loaves to take to work.  I need to have something to snack on with my tea.

I feel a smidge of guilt at spending money on what can be seen as an indulgence.  But we spent less on 2 stones than a meal out often costs us.  And we will enjoy them.

One of the activities we enjoy most these days is cooking together.  I'm glad we bought ourselves a treat that will encourage us to head to the kitchen and to engage in nourishing activities.

No comments: