Sunday, August 11, 2024

Long Views and Short Views and Rip Van Winkle

I am thinking of Rip Van Winkle, thinking about a modern version--what if you had fallen into a deep sleep on July 11, and you woke up today?  So much has changed, especially in the U.S. political scene on a national level.  On July 11, we wouldn't have known who the Republican Vice President candidate would be, and on July 11, most of us would have assumed that we already knew who the Democratic candidates would be.

I have been watching the progress of the leaves on the trees.  Some trees seem ready to burst into an autumnal color, which you would miss if you weren't looking or if you just took took a quick look.  At a quick glance, the dominant color of our trees on the mountain is a deep, gorgeous green.  But here and there, a branch has already turned.

When we get to January, I wonder if we will look back and wonder at what we missed.  Ten years out, what will we see that we can't see now?

Time is short, and soon we will get in the car to head across the mountains to Faith Lutheran in Bristol, Tennessee.  At the top of the mountain, the trees are still mostly green.  I've kept an eye open for the tree that was first to turn into a blazing red last year, but I still haven't seen it.  In some ways, at the top of the mountain, we get a long view, but I rarely see any vista that changes my thoughts, thoughts which revolve around the beauty of the mountains. 

This morning, my thoughts swirl around my sermon, about bread and Jesus and carbo loading and racing and the 20,000 + people who ran the Olympic marathon course last night, in between the men's race and the women's race.  It's a long view of sorts, this sermon writing view, but also very near sighted.

No comments: