Saturday, August 10, 2024

Tourniquets and Other Training

This shouldn't feel like such a whirlwind of a week.  I feel a bit worried that if 2 intense days feels like a whirlwind, what will it be when the other elements of my fall schedule go into play?  Let me record a few more bits of the week that I haven't captured yet:

--Yesterday I got to campus early for a campus prayer walk, which I wrote about in this post on my theology blog.

--I got some information about health insurance and promptly spiraled into a bit of a funk.  I never feel like I have enough information to make a good decision, and I'm not sure how it works with health care providers in a different state (some of mine seem to be in network, while others aren't, even though it's all Blue Cross, Blue Shield).  I had forgotten how much it costs to ensure an employee and a spouse.  But I do have health, vision, and dental, which seems rarer and rarer to have all three.

--I was introduced as new faculty at our faculty meeting, and in my introduction that I gave to the person introducing me, I included that I was in my last year of an MDiv degree with a focus of theology and the arts.  It's a focus that seems to intrigue people.  In the last 48 hours, I've met people who are doing a wide variety of creative stuff.

--One of our training sessions was a "Stop the Bleed" first aid kind of session.  At first it seemed odd for a faculty training session, but sadly, in these times we live in, it may be more relevant than many topics.  I went to it and learned the proper way to pack a wound and how to use a tourniquet.  In my Girl Scout days, we were told that the tourniquet would be a last ditch effort, but if you're in a place where paramedics will be arriving and hospitals are nearby, a tourniquet doesn't pose as much threat to a limb.  We had interesting lunch conversation about growing up watching MacGyver and all the ways that Girl Scouts taught us strange skills, like making a tourniquet with sticks you find in the yard.

--Last night, we watched the last 45 hours of the movie Moonstruck.  What a gem of a movie.  It was a great way to end a week that left me inspired, exhausted, fed, and worn out.

No comments: