Monday, August 12, 2024

Poetry Writing and Lentil Cooking on One Last Leisurely Morning

Today is a leisurely morning, followed by a trip to Spartanburg to be at school for a 3 p.m. opening convocation.  It's been a long, long time since I've been at a school that even has an opening convocation, so I have no idea what to expect.  Spartanburg Methodist classes start tomorrow.

It's been a good week-end, but a bit busier than usual, so I'm happy to have some time this morning to get some chores done.  I have a load of laundry in the dryer and a pot of lentils and barley on the stove, enough for lunch each day this week.

I've been a bit distracted from my usual writing tasks because I discovered that two of my seminary course shells have opened:  Stories of Power and The Rest of the Story: Parables & Parallels.  These two classes are the last ones I need to finish my track in theology and the arts in my MDiv; in fact, I get an additional graduate certificate by taking the approach that I have taken.

I did a quick look at the syllabus for each class to make sure that I haven't bitten off more than I want to chew in this very busy semester, and happily, they each look doable.  I still have time to get the textbooks, now that I know what they are.  Seminary classes start two weeks from today.

My sleep schedule has been a bit disrupted these last few days, and I'm not sure what that's about.  I'm not particularly worried, and right now, I don't have assignments that are due or papers to grade.  So this morning, I decided to start writing a poem and see where it led.  Last week, in this blog post, I wrote, "I did get a poem idea, when I said that men with chainsaws have a different idea of forest management than I do. I thought this might be an interesting idea to have Noah's wife contemplate. Or maybe I'll do several approaches and see which one I like best. Hmmm."

Last week, I began this way:


A man with a chainsaw has a different
Idea of forest management.
I leave the big trees where they fall.
Let them become condos for the creatures
Before rotting away into mulch.

This morning, I decided to try it as a Noah's wife poem, and that came much more easily, which I did not expect.  Here's the opening of this morning's poem.


Noah’s wife sends the tree service
away. She understands men with chainsaws.
They see the world differently,
every tree reduced to a trunk.

I'm still working on both of them, but the Noah's wife version gave me much more joy this morning than the other approach did last week.

Now it's time to put on my different shoes and head out for a walk before the rest of the week's schedule comes crashing down on my head.

No comments: