Saturday, August 31, 2024

Settling into a Seminary Schedule

All of my seminary classes are up and running, and it's hard for me to remember that we've only been in session for a few days.  I'm at that stage of the semester where I go back to course shells several times a day, just to make sure I haven't missed anything that's due this week.  I haven't settled into the rhythm of those classes yet.

I've had a few moments where I've thought, oh my goodness, what have I gotten myself into--how will I ever get all of this done?  But I know that I will get it all done.  I won't have much free time, but that's O.K.

Yesterday, I had two ENGL 100 classes with an in-class writing day.  I got a book read for my Missional Church class while they were writing.  It will be that kind of term, with me snagging every scrap of spare time so that I get everything done, and so that I have some time for the other events I have planned, like Quilt Camp.

At the back of my mind is fear of illness, both my own and illness in loved ones.  But if that happens, I'll remember that I have options.  I feel fortunate that I am not in my first year of seminary.  I know a bit more about how it all works, and I have the good will of my professors.  I likely always had that good will, but it was harder for me to know/trust that fact when I was in my first year.

Let me shift my writing time to getting a sermon pulled together for tomorrow.  I want to get a rough draft done before heading out for brunch.  We're going to the house of my mom's cousin near Charlotte and then back this afternoon.  It will be one of the last times that I schedule a Saturday like this one--until December, that is.

It's good to remember when I feel overwhelmed, that this schedule is only for a term.  It's good to remember that it's good to get these last required seminary classes completed when they're in a modality that works for me.

No comments: